Well, another decade has come and gone. It’s hard to believe how many life-changing technologies and apps have made their way to our everyday lives. This article will cover everything from virtual reality, augmented reality, crowdfunding, delivery robots, self-driving cars, streaming TV (goodbye, DVDs), and more.
Technology, as we know it, has evolved at an interesting pace in the last decade. What used to be spoken about as being futuristic and impossible to fathom has now become a part of our everyday life, changing the operations of humans both at home and at their workplace.
- 750 Tweets per second, over 65 Million tweets per day!
- Twitter offers Promoted Tweets, which allows advertisers to pay for tweets to be shown in a user’s feed.
- Pinterest launches.
- Instagram debuts.
- Google starts DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP), an advertising software as a service.
- Quora goes live.
- First-generation iPad by Apple is released.
- Venmo is created as a way to send money.
- Snapchat debuts.
- Twitch goes live.
- Spotify, a streaming music app that plays a song from any device anywhere launches.
- Smart Assistant, Siri, debuted on the iPhone 4s in 2011. This move introduced the public to digital assistants.
- Tesla Model S goes into full production.
- Facebook acquires Instagram for $1 billion in cash and stock.
- The dating-oriented social networking service, Tinder, goes live.
- Uber launches as the premier rideshare service.
- Microsoft releases the operating system Windows 8.
- Vine, a video-sharing and social media service, is introduced.
- Myspace re-launches with a redesigned website and a mobile app.
- Google Chromecast turns any TV into a smart one.
- Touch ID fingerprint sensors debut on the iPhone 5s.
- Playstation 4 and Xbox One are introduced into the market.
- Musical.ly, a lip-syncing app, launches.
- Pinterest launches Promoted Pins.
- Amazon acquires Twitch for $970 million.
- Apple Watch goes live.
- Beme, a short video sharing app launches.
- Amazon Echo’s smart speakers came out of nowhere.
- Windows 10 makes its way to PCs everywhere.
- In 2016, Instagram Stories went live on the platform.
- Bluetooth headphones, known as AirPods, were launched
- Snapchat begins to include advertisements between users’ “stories”.
- PokemonGO, an introduction of augmented reality wfith 750 million downloads, debuts.
- Facebook Live is released.
- TikTok, a short video sharing and social media service, launches.
- Fidget spinners became trending toys.
- The Cambridge Analytica case against Facebook and data privacy makes headlines.
- GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) becomes enforceable on May 25, 2018.
- IGTV is fully launched on Instagram.
- Shareable electric scooters, make their way to metros around the world.
- Google+ shuts down in April 2019 due to low user engagement and an API flaw.
- Drone Delivery takes flight with companies like Amazon.
- Oculus Quest is a new milestone for VR because it’s actually fun to play with.
- Wireless 5G, the next generation of broadband, will make internet speeds faster.
Over the years, technology has revolutionized our world and daily lives, creating amazing tools and resources that put useful information at our fingertips. It’s truly exciting to see the innovations and technology being used every day. With all of these revolutions, digital advancements have made our lives easier, faster, better, and more fun.